Fu**ing Crystals, how do They work?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fu**ing Crystals, how do They work?!

Post by -_CreepeR_- on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:29 am

The main element of the world of HotB is of course, the Null Crystals. Magic crystals that can record and store anything they are exposed to. So how exactly do they work? Well, quite simply, really.

A Crystal can store a charge, of whatever it is most prominently exposed to. It can be anything ranging from wind, fire, water and electricity to sounds, winds, shock-waves and, as shown by Arbos, shadows and the Night itself.

Normal crystal acts like a bottle. You fill it up with whatever it is you want, and then once you release the charge - the crystal is empty once again, and needs to be charged. On their own crystals have no magic properties all their abilities come from the charges stored in them.

Nullomancer is a person who can embed the Null Crystals in his body. Once the charged crystal is embedded in a nullomancer, it will recharge on its own in time. Meaning that unlike the normal crystals, the charge of the embedded crystal can be used multiple times. the amount of time it takes for the stored effect to recharge depends on the size of the crystal (smaller=faster) and the complexity of the charge. (So if you stored a bit of fire, it will recharge in, let's say, 3 seconds. But if you (hell if i know how) stored the fucking APOCALYPSE in your crystal, it will take quite a a bit longer. Maybe a few days.) Nullomancers have only three rules about them:
  1. The charge of the embedded crystal cannot be used to charge other crystals.
  2. Embedded crystals multiply the power of their charge 2x compared to normal crystals.
  3. Once removed from the body the embedded crystal will function just like a normal one, and empty out after releasing the charge.

Now how DO you charge the crystals exactly? Well, they follow a set of the most simple rules ever:
  1. The predominant effect will be stored.
  2. Time required to store will depend on the element/effect.
  3. The purity of the charge will depend on the amount of "interference".
  4. If exposed to constant change of conditions the common denominator will be stored.
  5. If suddenly exposed to a new affect it was not exposed to previously, in sufficient amount, the crystal is "shocked" into storing it.
  6. Physical contact>Force Affect>Abstract Effect.
  7. If exposed to several physical elements at once - the one with the highest area of contact will be stored.
  8. The crystals will become "rigid" towards storing affects or elements they were continually exposed to for long periods of time without showing dominance. E.g. the crystals are by default rigid towards storing still rocks and air, due to being always exposed to them in the caverns as they were growing.

Keep in mind that the movement of the element is also part of the equation. So "still air" like the one in the cavern will not be stored on its own. But "moving air" such as wind, will be stored, as it is different.

Now we come to the more complicated part, the interference, concentration and purity.
Seeing as the crystals are capable of recording anything, any and all affects or elements it is exposed to during the charging will act as interference. In order to get a charge of 110% return purity one would have to remove as many of the unneeded affecting factors as possible. For example 99% of all chargers include some form of a vacuum chamber, in order to eliminate the interference of air, sound, light and atmospheric pressure. When coming up with your chargers try to eliminate everything, except for the affect you want stored.

If you successfully eliminated all unnecessary interference you should get a crystal with a high purity charge. Why is that important? Very simple - the purer the charge - the more powerful it is and the more of it you can store in a crystal. Purity is determined by the return percentage - the amount of charge released in relation to the amount of charge stored. High purity charges can get up to 145% RCP, due to crystal resonating and generating more of the charge upon release. E.G. You stored 100 litres of water in a crystal, with a 110% RCP, so when you release the water from the crystal you will actually get 110 litres back. This allows you to use one crystal for charging other crystals. Simple!

Concentration only applies to charges of physical elements (ground, air, water.). In order to store water or air, once you removed all the impurities by filtering, you would put it under high pressure (remember that ph.contact trumps the force effect, so you would store water, rather than pressure) thus raising the water's "concentration". Meaning there are more water molecules per square mm of crystal surface. Very simple.

Those are the basic rules for Null Crystals. What you store and, more importantly, HOW you do it is the very point of you growing as a character. Do research, find materials, work towards building that insanely complex charger and in the end you will be rewarded with very rare charge that will break the world!

Last edited by -_CreepeR_- on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

FOREVER CREEPY

xMagiciansBlade wrote:Welcome, just be careful around Creeper...he has a tendency to mind fuck people, according to him "it's the greatest pleasure hole in existence"

Read my blog for short stories and general awesomeness!
>>>>>A Handful Of Sarcasm <<<<<
-_CreepeR_-
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://snlounge.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fu**ing Crystals, how do They work?!

Post by balis on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:06 pm

Is there any limits to how much you can store in a crystal?
balis
Swordsman
Swordsman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sayo-chan! on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:09 pm

balis wrote:Is there any limits to how much you can store in a crystal?

The size of the crystal and the purity of what your filling it with determines how much you can store.

Uwaaah~ Shocked
Sayo-chan!
Sniper
Sniper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by balis on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:55 pm

Sayo-chan! wrote:

The size of the crystal and the purity of what your filling it with determines how much you can store.

Then can we store more than one element (regardless of there purity or the efficiency)? If yes, can we store as much as if it was one pure element?
balis
Swordsman
Swordsman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sayo-chan! on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:18 pm

balis wrote:
Sayo-chan! wrote:

Then can we store more than one element (regardless of there purity or the efficiency)? If yes, can we store as much as if it was one pure element?

No I don't think you can, one will always have a higher percentage of purity so that will be the dominant effect, adding in another element will just make the dominant effect weaker since it reduces the purity. You'll have to double check with cree but from what i've heard this is how it works.

Uwaaah~ Shocked
Sayo-chan!
Sniper
Sniper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -_CreepeR_- on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Sayo's actually gotten a pretty good grasp on it now, i'm surprised Very Happy

You can only store one effect/element in one crystal. Regardless of how complex the effect actually is. But the complexity will affect the recharge time Very Happy

FOREVER CREEPY

xMagiciansBlade wrote:Welcome, just be careful around Creeper...he has a tendency to mind fuck people, according to him "it's the greatest pleasure hole in existence"

-_CreepeR_-
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by balis on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:41 pm

so we can't use a crystal as a shield against other nullomancer?

Swordsman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -_CreepeR_- on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:44 pm

What exactly do you mean? You could store some ffect that allows you to shield yourself (i don't know.. off the top of my head, store metal and literally create a shield. Or store water and frost and raise a wall of ice). You could also just used the embedded crystal to take a blow from a weapon, since they won't shatter.

FOREVER CREEPY

-_CreepeR_-
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by balis on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:59 pm

Mmmhh, I mean shielding myself from an attack of Nullomancers using crystals.. like using the crystal to "absorb" a lightning bolt coming from another Nullomancer, then using this same crystal (if it's not full) to absorb a fire ball from a second Nullomancer.. ?

Swordsman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sayo-chan! on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:05 am

-_CreepeR_- wrote:Sayo's actually gotten a pretty good grasp on it now, i'm surprised Very Happy

You can only store one effect/element in one crystal. Regardless of how complex the effect actually is. But the complexity will affect the recharge time Very Happy

A compliment and an insult in one go, why thank you.

Uwaaah~ Shocked
Sayo-chan!
Sniper
Sniper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -_CreepeR_- on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:09 am

balis wrote:Mmmhh, I mean shielding myself from an attack of Nullomancers using crystals.. like using the crystal to "absorb" a lightning bolt coming from another Nullomancer, then using this same crystal (if it's not full) to absorb a fire ball from a second Nullomancer.. ?
As i said you can only store one element per crystal, so absorbing the lightning bolt and then a fireball wouldn't work. Also no, you cannot. Crystals require a bit of prolonged exposure in order to absorb. The time generally varies depending on what you're storing. Also charges released by a Nullomancer cannot be stored anyway, due to nullomantic magic getting mixed in. (I'm writing the Nullomancy thread right now)

FOREVER CREEPY

-_CreepeR_-
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top